Tuesday, February 19, 2013

home again, jiggity jig.

Thomas and I just returned from a weekend getaway, just the two of us. We went to visit both sets of grandparents, and it was wonderful... Mostly.

I am 9.5 weeks post op from a major surgery, so I am not back to my full energy level, and still feel some pain if I overdo it. The pain wasn't a problem, but holy cow, I forget just how much energy it takes to solo parent Thomas. I must remember to bring scotch and flowers to my husband after my next momcation!

Thomas did pretty well actually. His stimming behaviors picked up a lot during our visit, and by this morning his impulse control was pretty shot. His verbal stimming (a quiet click at the back of his throat)  returned the moment we walked into his grandparents house, and I think it was mostly a self soothing technique. He was pretty unsure of the dogs when he walked in and they were barking, but he quickly warmed up to them. The clicking continued all through the visit, and when I asked him about it he just told me that it felt nice.

He did fairly well with looking at people, momentarily, when talking to them, but he did avoid eye contact. He is becoming really good at faking it. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Thomas blew his grandpa away while they were playing a puzzle game together. Thomas is an excellent problem solver, and so does really well at those types of games. He reached Master level before he really needed much help at all.

We then spent 1/2 a day at OMSI with my parents. It was wonderful to watch Thomas experiment with things there, though he was very impulsive, and didn't spend more than 20-30 seconds per exhibit, save for a select few. The Mythbusters exhibit was his favorite, and it's where he spent most of his time.

All in all, I think it was a great trip. I'm so glad that he and I got to spend some one on one time together. I look forward to our next adventure over Spring Break... Maybe we'll try hiking again.

No comments:

Post a Comment